Maya is an Award Winning Ar.st working with Moving Image, Sound & Light. She creates Immersive Multimedia Environments using water and motion as creative sources. The work is the result of a genuine sense of wonder about the raw energy of the natural world and the ideal of a shared human experience.
Technology plays a central role in the work and is utilised as an enabler of boundless creative possibilities.
London is home but Maya is originally from Portugal where she was raised by the sea. She studied Biology, so as a visual ar.st, is mostly self-taught - from short stints at Central Saint Martins to the real learning through seeking out what she felt were some of the greatest image makers learning as much as she could from direct experiences. This included time spent with lighting manufacturers in order to be able to create images truly "painted with light”.
Unlike sound, light travels more slowly in water. This presents challenges & creative opportunities, be it in the open ocean or custom-built underwater pools.
An obsessive aesthetic and the natural grace of free fluid motion drew Maya to photograph. The eventual role of sound & rhythm in the work occurred naturally as a result of being involved with the Dance scene in the UK.
Drawn to the mysterious, she unconsciously started to create work that pulled away from reality and which was less about what one is seeing and more about is being sensed - free from the restrictions of space or thought.
Maya's Fine Art work is in public and private collections and has been recognised by juried international exhibitions and competitions. Collaborations with a range of commercial & private clients include CHI & Partners, Y&R Branding, Orion Publishing, OneDrop Foundation, Lisbon Oceanarium, Crowood Press, Egoista Magazine, Dance UK, AD Dance Company, Random Dance, D&B Performing Arts, The English National Ballet, the Akram Khan Dance Company, Body of People & The Nureyev Medical Foundation.
Maya is fluent in Portuguese, English, French and Italian and conversational in Spanish.
AWARDS & FEATURES
- Launch of "ONE" - A site-specific immersive art installation in Lisbon about our shared human connection to oceans.
- Feature Special Edition SABADO/New York Times on Ocean Conservation.
- Tel Aviv International Women Artists Exhibition.
- Feature in Egoista Special December Edition.
- Graphis Platinum Award for 'Ana - underwater portrait' series and Silver Award for ‘Veiled’.
- P/Art Ibiza Group Exhibition 'Fantasy'.
- 125LIVE London - Exhibition for Innovation in Photography and Annual.
- Technique Feature for Canon Professional Services on Canon 5DS Beneath the Surface Underwater Beauty shoot.
- 'Into the Blue' Behind the Scenes features, Creative Review.
- OneEyeland competition Bronze award for 'Fine Art' & ‘People’ categories, Finalist for ‘Advertising' & ‘Sports’ categories.
- One of three UK photographers invited to the Shanghai International Invitational Exhibition.
- ‘Underwater Dance’ series.
- UK Professional Photographer of the Year - Shortlisted.
- Installation Magazine June - Feature Q&A on creative process and inspiration.
- Creative Review March edition - Technique Feature on Underwater Photography.
- Q&A with Antonia Wilson, Creative Review.
- Group Exhibition at Metal Culture, Chalkwell for Dance Photography, curated by Chris Nash.
- Group exhibition at City Hall for the Cultural Olympiad, a collaboration with English National Ballet, curated by Chris Nash.
- Arles Salon in France summer exhibition - Underwater images in multimedia installation.
- Epsom Underwater World Shootout - Finalist for the Environmental Conserva.on Category.
Follow on Instagram.